Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Pirates?

Some good news to report, a former Marine of 1st platoon, recently took a trip to drop off some ‘cargo’ at Abu Ghraib prison. While there, he came across a copy of Star Wars III on DVD. Some of you might be saying, “How’s that possible? It just came out in theaters!” Well, my answer to that question might go something like this, “Arrrrr! We be pirates!” Just kidding; there actually are a lot of bootleg DVDs available for sale through the local populace. So, we are just trying to do our part in stimulating the economy.

I must say, it was a very good quality pirated copy of Star Wars III. Since it was a former Marine of 1st platoon, who acquired the movie, he showed it to us first. It just made everyone’s day a whole lot better. A pretty good movie overall with some splendid fight scenes. I would recommend it to anyone.

In other news, I know that it’s been awhile since I have had time to write back to everyone who’s been writing me. So, I took a few hours of time I had to write a bunch of letters to you guys back home. Plan on getting one from me in about a week. Sorry for the delay, but I have been a little bit busy. Just know that when I read a letter from home, it brings me back there for those few minutes of reading and I thank you all for that. Plus, it gives me less of a ‘culture shock’ when I do return home and have been able to keep up to date on happenings back home.


To everyone who reads this blog or checks out my flickr pictures, I would like to say thank you for your support. The continued words of encouragement left as comments, means a great deal to me. I never imagined that I would have complete strangers from around the country and even around the world like Australia. I even had a few German’s, though I don’t hold that against them. I never told anyone about my flickr photos except my friends. Now, I have over 30,000 views of my photos and receive many compliments for my work. I’ve been able to allow friends and family members of Marines in Lima Co., 3/25 the opportunity to see their loved ones and allow the world to see this war through my eyes as a Marine Corps rifleman. This is just totally amazing to me. The best part for me, is just reading all the comments I get; even the bad ones on occasion.

To anyone who reads this:
Thank you once again. You have no idea how much you have touched my life. Hopefully, in some small way, I have touched yours.

10 comments:

ceebee23 said...

James,

I found your blog from flickr....I just hope you are ok! ...and that you return home to your family safe.

as for Star Wars ....mmmm should we save up and send you your own Light Sabre?

Anonymous said...

James,

There's a letter enroute to Iraq for one of my friends in Lima 3/25. It contains a message for you. After Ubaydi, I prayed for news about my friend and was led to your website. I am now a faithful reader. You are a part of my life. I worry about you, pray for you and care about you. Eventhough, I have never met you I consider you a friend. In a few months, when the letter finally arrives,he should come to you. I hope the contents of the letter will forge a closer relationship between the 2 of you. Each of you have different strengths to offer the other. When he left he was questioning whether or not to accept God. Maybe you could help him that. He has age and the experience to help you with the everyday tramas that you now have to face.
Thank you
You're in my thoughts and prayers

Isaiah 40:13
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength,They will soar on wings like eagles;they will run and not grow weary,they will walk and not be faint.

Anonymous said...

Dear Corporal McCauley,
Your written words and pictures do much to calm a worried father's heart for his son soon to join your group there. He departed Monday to join you in 3/25 after completing his training at Camp LeJeune. It was an emotional farewell for me and his younger brother. The knowledge that you guys look out for each other so much is incredibly reassuring. I have written him to tell you thanks again from me when you meet him. I hope that someday our paths can cross at a 3/25 family day when you arrive back home safely and I can shake your hand. You are touching more lives than you realize with your words-- keep up the good work. Semper Fi...
John V. Parker

Anonymous said...

Corporal McCauley,

Thoughts and prayers always with Lima Co and the rest. Say hello to LCPL Rizvi for me.

The pics are really poignant and meaningful!

Erin said...

Wow, well I appreciate getting to read your blog. The media has such a skewed way of showing things that it is refreshing to get the truth. My friend, Chris, is also a Marine over there, although not with your group. It helps put me at ease to hear from others. I just recently got an e-mail from him and it made my whole month. He is also so close to becoming a Christian. Maybe he even is one by now and I've been praying for it for so long. It's really amazing how God loves us and does answer our prayers. My prayers are also with you. You know we are loved so much our Father in Heaven even knows how many hairs are on our head. That's pretty amazing and comforting! Keep up the great work. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU, Corporal McCauley. Since stumbling upon your blog back in March you have, in the words of an earlier poster, become a part of my life. I was paired with a Marine in 3rd platoon through Adopt-A-Platoon. Although I don't really know him I think of him as a friend. I recently received a phone call from him and in the message he left for me he expressed the same thanks that you do at the end of your blog post.

I cannot stress enough that it is WE who are thanking YOU.

Stay safe and God Bless. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love and respect,
Abigail

Anonymous said...

Cpl. McCauley,
I found your awesome pics and blog after talking to LCpl. Yost's Mom and Dad this weekend. Outstanding job and Semper Fi. I was a Sgt. in Lima (Machine Guns section) and served with several of your older NCO's. Please, all of you Marines stay safe and take care of one another (I know you will....you're Marines!)Give those insurgent bastards hell and Godspeed! Thank you all for the tough job you're doing.
Chris Turrin

prozaciswack said...

We have a lot of those bootleg DVD's here in Guatemala too. It is awesome to hear how much attention your blog and flickr are getting. A man who tells it straight and takes good photos too! Keep up the amazing work.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Love your blog and the pics on flickr. I have a loved one in the 3/25 and any news from the front is good news. So many of us here at home scan the internet daily for any sliver of unbiased information about what you are all experiencing. The pictures are great because they show us a slice of life perspective and every time we see someone we recognize, it comforts us that as many of you as possible will come back home.

Never doubt that your loved ones have you on their minds every minute of every day. You are awesome. Thank you for serving your country.

Maryellen Pienta said...

Hi James, I asked someone who knows German very well to look at the German site that seems to be going off on you. They wrote: The author of the German article is obviously against the war. The main beef he seems to have with the blog is that you (the Marine) doesn't think. The Marine records all these daily activities, but puts no thought into it. He doesn't say why he's there or why he's doing what he's doing, he just does it. The German author talks about the Marine's "shocking willingness just to be a machine with two legs."
You have to understand that Germans have a very different outlook on these things than we do, and probably this one was never in the military. . .