Monday, May 30, 2005

New Market

With the completion of another operation, I am still realizing, there are sides to this war that I still haven’t seen yet.

My platoon was given the lovely job of firm base security, but not just any firm base, it had to be the battalion firm base. Needless to say, somehow blousing our trousers will somehow deflect bullets; well, that’s what some Marines on the battalion level would have you believe. We (1st Plt.) just want to stay as cool as possible with the summer temperature coming upon us.

It was a pretty easy job overall; 2 hours on and 6 off, most of the time, for 4 days. During the 1st day of the operation, our base started to take indirect fire, from mortars. It wasn’t something new to us, but it was pretty close on the 1st day. Unfortunately, while I was standing watch on the rooftop, I witness the death of a little boy from these mortar attacks on us. So far, I haven’t seen any civilian deaths while I was here, until now and it was the worst kind. I felt terrible to see an innocent boy be killed by an insurgent attack. The family circled around the boy and the father picked up his limp body, to take him inside the house. Shortly thereafter, they buried him in the graveyard nearby.

For the reminder of the time we were at this base, we continued to receive a couple of mortar attacks a day. The sound a round makes as it flies through the air is something I wish to never hear again. The reason, if you can hear it, then it will be landing near you. All you can do is get low and pray. We would then send out a quick reaction force to try to locate, and destroy the threat. Fortunately, no Marines were injured during our stay.

During one of these mortar attacks, which I have encountered before, I felt scared. With each round making it’s distinctive explosive thud, getting a little bit closer, with every attack, on our firm base. I remember thinking about what people told me back home. They said they were praying for my safe return. Then I was thinking, what if it is not in the grand scheme of things for me to make it home safe. I thought it would be a waste of time and it would be better for them to spend their time praying for me to have a sound mind in times like these. I don’t know why I thought of this, but I did and I just wanted to let it out because it was one of the times in which I felt scared. I will admit that, its war for crying out loud and I know my other Marines had similar fears. I think everyone here fighting, is scared. It’s whether or not they let that fear overcome their sense of duty.

I also have some more bad news to report. My company suffered another lose, this time from 2nd platoon. I’ve had the honor of knowing this good man last year during my UNITAS deployment to South America. He was my squad leader. I will miss you Sergeant David Wimberg. I’m glad you were able to shot that bastard who got you.

KIA May 25, 2005

And I continue on with the fight…

11 comments:

Joel said...

Hey man, I've told you this before in letters and I'll tell it to you again. I am not praying for your safety, though I selfishly do hope you remain safe. I am praying that God's will would be done and that you would indeed remain strong through adversity, relying upon Him for strength. The safest place you can be is in His arms, and especially if that means even in death. Stay close to Him!

Anonymous said...

Keep on keepin' on. We WILL!!!! see you home safe soon. I know it's cliche but courage is not the lack of fear but doing what needs done in spite of it-exactly what you're doing.

Jimmy, Jen and Ezekiel

Anonymous said...

Hey James. I'm at Jimmy's visiting. Sounds like a movie what you write but real. Too bad. Is it hard to see God in the midst of this or easier? We think of you a lot with CAB. Anyway, we'll hook you up when you come to Guatemala. :') Later,
J

ceebee23 said...

I keep saying it but I really do mean it James, just take care ...and duck when there is incoming fire!

But the horror of war is more than evere apparent when innocent civilians are killed. I grieve for the little boy and for your fellow Marines who have been killed.

Let us hope for a speedy end to this war and your safe return to your family and friends.

Anonymous said...

James, we are praying that you will be safe and come home soon. We will definitely be praying for the spirit of fear to leave you and for strength and a peace of mind. We love you man and bring the Raiders home safe :)!

ceebee23 said...

James, if you go to this link there is a picture of David Wimberg.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/879849.html

The site maintains a virtual memorial to the fallen.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...it's often difficult for me to be able to put into words exactly what I'm feeling sometimes. You seem to have a gift in the ability to allow the reader to really hear, see and smell what you are experiencing.

1 Corinthians 16:13
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.

Paul is writing to the Corinthian church here and making some closing requests in his letter. I thought it went along with what you were saying.

I'll be praying for you.
Best Regards,
Candice

Larry said...

You know, I think it is alright to be afraid. The difference is that you have been trained to think straight through the fear. Where an everyday person would fold in situations that you face, you are able to keep your wits and get the job done. Don't get discouraged. Just remember that God will be glorified through this. God has not given us the spirit of fear but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7)...That will be my prayer for you.

Erin said...

My prayers are for your safety and your peace of mind. May the Lord keep His hand over both your body and soul.

Anonymous said...

Cpl McCauley, I am Sgt David Wimberg's sister. Thank you for your post. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hoofa!
Semper Fi
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Cpl McCauley,
I am Sgt. Wimberg's older brother. I would like to say thank you for the kind words you have for Dave. I know you all had a great time in South America. I would love to hear from you, how you and your men are doing, and any stories you may have about Dave. If there is anything you need please ask.