Wednesday, February 08, 2006

FAFSA

Last night I filled out my FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid); this is the form needed to get federal grants and/or loans from the government for students going to college. Well, while I was filing mine out, I got really angry with the questions and information it was asking for. For next school year ('06-'07), I thought I was going to bank on some grants to pay for me education. The FAFSA asks for your tax information and such, but then it went on and asked for my combat pay, which is nontaxable, my food & housing allowance (nontaxable), and my investments.

I figured that since my combat pay is nontaxable, I won't have to claim it on my FAFSA, but nope, they like to know about every single dime I made and invest. This is what angers me probably the most. Why in the world am I getting screwed out of grant money because I invest my money?! I keep a couple of CD's just to make a little bit of money while I determine what to do with it. You know, I like to keep a little bit of cash handy in case of something that would happen and now I am being treated like I have all this money for college. I should be like a lot of other people; spend everything I make and carry large debts. That way, I would get free grant money from the government! I think this is stupid because I like to be a productive and wise citizen and keep a little cash handy. Oh, they also want to know about my savings and checking account balances. I really am pissed about all of this.

Oh, I can't forget my GI Bill benefits I get from the VA. FAFSA wants to know all about that and include it in with the money I make. Now, I served my country's armed forces for this money, and yet, I am getting penalized out of grant money because of it. I don't even have a job right now, and yet they expect me to contribute almost $10,000 for the next school year! All because I was sent to war, made some money, and saved a large amount of it.

This was something that just got me upset and wanted to rant about. Oh well, there's always more student loans I can take out to continue my higher education while someone who doesn't work and saves nothing, s/he can go to college for free.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly have every right to rant about this invasion of privacy. It makes me so angry that brave Marines and soldiers have to endure such bulls*** from the very government that has no problem with sending them to war zones or in the case of your fellow Lima Co men an early grave. You guys served honorably and did the job that was asked of you so now it is the governments turn to honor it's commitment to you. Sorry for the long-winded post here but don't mess with my heroes.

Anonymous said...

James,
I understand your frustration with the current system. Perhaps this will encourage you to run for state senate so you can change the current system to make it more equitable for all concerned.

I recently read a book on grants that I got through my local library using their inter-library loan system in order to research grants for our non-profit to be (NHLyme). It’s a lot of work to apply for grants, but I bet it will be worth it to pursue our mission of educating the NH public about Lyme Disease. I’m sure you’ll find the same! Good luck. I listed a couple of resources below:
http://www.lib.msu.edu/harris23/grants/3veteran.htm
http://www.students.gov/STUGOVWebApp/link_search/listsubs.jsp?Topic=0200
http://www.collegeboard.com/article/0,3868,6-30-0-8936,00.html

Have a great weekend, and enjoy that bike!
Try not to be discouraged!
Candice

Larry said...

Rant away man...that's a bunch of crap! They should send you guys to college for free with no questions asked.

Anonymous said...

First let me say, THANK YOU!
For your service as a 3/25 Marine, and a wonderful blog!!
My nephew is also serving with the 3/25 and joined them just after his becoming a Marine and MOS training.
I certainly agree with you that they should give the person a break who does save a little instead of the one who shows nothing. It is a huge catch 22 in our goverment system and nothing more than welfare for the POOR but not the deserving. He was attending a private school before becoming a Marine. He found out upon returning from Iraq, that his private school does not take the GI Bill. They receive no goverment funds so they can freely teach what they want, the down side for him is if they took the goverment money or GI Bill they would have to become like every other school. He returned and is using all of the money he saved while in Iraq to pay for his room and board and tution. He like yourself was a bit disheartened but the upside is he is back and doing what it takes to continue. Hope you and him are both able to finish and funds are found to help you both attain the goals you have set for yourselves.
Keep the faith.
Thanks to your blog, I am going to pass on the previous info about funds. Thanks Candice!!!