Thursday, February 16, 2006

PFC Jacob Spann

Yesterday I attended the funeral of Private First Class Jacob Spann. He was a Marine killed in Iraq last week in the city of Hit. The same city that my company lived in and built a firm base for about a month. Jacob was from Columbus and this offered me a chance to attend a funeral of a Marine, since I was unable to attend the funerals of our men.

It was a beautiful service. Many people talked about Jacob's life and I was able to get a glimpse into his life. It did make me sad to see such a young man die, though I know he did it for our country and another country's freedoom. There were about 750 people at the service and well over 100 cars in the funeral procession to the graveyard. He was honored with a 21 gun salute and afterwards, the people attending released dozens of balloons into the air. It was a beautiful and fitting service for a hero and I only wish everyone would see one.

Afterwards, the group of Marines from my company went to visit Sergeant Hoffman's grave to pay our respects to our fellow Marine.

Sgt Hoffman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no words...Candice

Allie said...

I have no words either...just my condolances.

Anonymous said...

James,

I received this email from a friend. I thought you would be interested in it.

Subject: A Million Miles Away from Home

"A Million Miles Away from Home" (copyright 2006) was written six
months
ago, on August 8, 2005, Ohio's official "Day of Mourning" following the
deaths of 14 Marines from Ohio. I wrote it to help me grieve the loss.
Please pass it along to anyone you think may find encouragement or
comfort
in it. You may freely download and copy the song, provided you do not
charge

for it.

http://bobstewartband.com/mm