Thursday, February 02, 2006

Washington DC


Arlington National Cemetery

Last weekend, I made a trip to Washington DC, with another Marine from my company. The main reason of the visit, was to visit Arilington National Cemetary and pay our respect to our fellow brothers. We were also able to stay with another Marine that we went on a deployment together to South America. I had a great time meeting up with some guys there and even have a friend that is a staffer for a congressman. With that, we were able to get a private tour of the Capitol Building compliments of the Capitol Police. The officer showed us some great places around the Capitol, even some rooms that are not open to the public like the Senators' Restroom and the Senate Majority Leader's Private Balcony. The officer offered next time we visit, he can give us a more detailed tour if we contact him ahead of time and not just show up because the Capitol was actually closed to the public when we went through. We could even do a 2AM tour if we wanted!

Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to see the Iwo Jima Memorial, but there's always next time. And next time, it will be longer than a weekend. Here are a few more pictures I took during my trip. As always, check out my flickr for all my great pictures.


Group Photo SSgt Goodwin
Ceiling in the President's Room

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it to Arlington. The place has always been very moving for me, and very much more so now. I hope to get back this spring.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos-looks like you had great weather. I went to DC first week of January and had a fabulous time. My trip meant a lot to me because of some of what you've shared here.

We want to hear about college!
Candice

Anonymous said...

Good pictures. Kinda painful. There's a LCpl Aviles in the same section at Arlington.

Anonymous said...

Corporal McCauley,

This is Sgt. Carr, I used to serve will Lima years ago. I am out of the Corps now and work in DC. The next time that you are in town give me a ring. Sgt Balla has my number.

Sgt Carr

Anonymous said...

James,

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. I thought of you and the other fine men from LIMA. Thank you for your service, not only to our country but to our Lord.

www.interviewwithgod.com/patriotic