Friday, January 07, 2005

Finally Ready

It's Friday night and I made it home alright to finish some things real quick before I go back tomorrow morning. For some reason, they (my superiors) have been nice to us and let us go an hour early today and half hour yesterday. Next, we get off tomorrow at 1300 and don't have to come back till Sunday at 1600. I don't know; when someone who is mean to you and all of the sudden is nice, something real bad is going to happen. The suspense grows, but at least the week is pretty much over with and we are finally ready to go.

A funny little story was told to me today by my platoon sergeant. I asked him if it was OK to carry my laptop, in a case, as a carry on to the plane. He then asked me if I was a designated laptop carrier. I said no, since it isn't government laptop; it's mine! The sergeant then told me how it might be a bad idea since it might get damaged and not make it back home cause of the environment and such. Also, the company is apparently short of laptops and if I do carry my laptop, I will then be designated as a laptop carrier. Which means that my personal use of the laptop will be 2nd to the company's use of the laptop. So basically, they can use it whenever they want. Funny; I don't remember Lima Company ever giving me some money to help me buy MY laptop. Of course, me being a inferior rank and person, in the Corps eyes, I just politely said roger that and carried on with my day and packed it in my overstuffed seabag. During that time, I was thinking on how wonderful it will be when they try and take my laptop from me and give it to fricken admin so they can pretend to be doing something important like typing or drinking coffee, while I am patrolling the streets looking for insurgents. I don't think it will happen. They would have to remove it from my ninja grip only after I am dead. Well, I thought it was funny and so did a few other Marines.

No comments: