Monday, October 09, 2006

Starry Night

The other night, I had to make a trip out to John Bryan State Park to do a physics lab in regards to the constellations. Unfortunately, the moon messed up my plans because it was almost full and I could not see very many stars. Nonetheless, I did not want to leave quite yet because it was a clear night and rather warm for this time of year. So I just laid on my car hood gazing up at the stars and listening to some good country music. This brought back memories of when I was at sea a couple years ago. I would just lie on the flight deck at night and just be amazed by the number of stars I could see. Also, when I was in Iraq last year, I did this as well. There were many nights of sleeping on roofs or up on firewatch in the middle of the desert. I would gaze up on the stars and would usually see about 3-4 shooting stars before I went to sleep.

All of this brought me a peace that I have not had in a long time. In Iraq, I looked at the stars a lot because it gave me an escape from the war I was living through. Being able to just ponder God’s amazing creation of the heavens made me feel at peace. Well, the other night when I was doing this, it brought me that peace that I was looking for and it felt really good. I stayed out there for about an hour before I left.

If you have never really taken the time to get away from the city and go somewhere to gaze upon the stars for a while, I strongly recommend it. It has always helped relaxed me and I just forgot how much I miss doing it.

4 comments:

Joel said...

I too echo your sentiments. Seeing the magnificance of the sky in Namibia is something that I look forward to each time I go back and somehow never get accustomed to seeing.

God's creation declares His handiwork.

Anonymous said...

Definitely.
I haven't done that in a long time. Mostly due to working all night...

I haven't talked to you in forever, man. I went perusing your recent posts. We miss you out here. I wish we had gotten together with you when we were home in July.

prozaciswack said...

Sounds like you needed that...a lot.

Unknown said...

The Reason i love Science so much is because i have a little oppsession with the Stars, moon and outer space in general I love to look up at the Stars and just sit quietly (yes I can be quiet once in a while) if I had the guts too I would become an Astronaut, however God is calling me elsewhere. I love going to plantariums and anything to do with outer space and the stars. Lets go star gazing sometime