Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Operation Iraqi Freedom III

Due to lack of internet access that I will soon have, I don’t think I will be able to keep much of a blog on here. I will try my best with letting my thoughts and such come out on here. In light that someone will have a better understanding of what a Marine goes through/does here in Iraq...
After a long 63 hours of traveling on many various kinds of transportation, buses, helo, commercial flight, and C-117, I finally arrived here in Hadithah Dam last week. Pretty nice place; definitely a lot better than 29 Palms. The chow is remarkable compared to the trash I got at Camp Wilson in California and we finally have a hard floor instead of sand. Too bad I will be leaving soon for another mission that will last for an unknown amount of time and it will be a somewhat remote location; hence no internet for awhile after this.
In other news, we still have to deal with a lot of BS that I thought would have ended when we entered a combat zone; i.e. can’t wear beanies while in the base, had a couple company size formations, on top of a dam might I add, and still have no toilet paper in the heads. On a positive side, tomorrow I will finally be able to go outside the wire and start doing my job. Something that I’ve been training for and waiting for about 3 years now.

2 comments:

Joel said...

James, you probably won't get this...but just wanted to say that you make us proud! Sorry I missed your phone call! I was kicking myself all day.

Anonymous said...

James, Good info on Op Matador! My son is a track driver with the 4th AABN. You're right about one thing, I worry, but I worry less because some damn fine Marines watch his back. Semper Fi! A Marine Dad.