Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Germans

Something very interesting has come to my attention recently. It seems as though some Germans have taken interest in my blog and also quite a likening to my flickr pictures. I was wondering why my blog all of the sudden reached over 1000 hits and at the same time, my flickr photo stream has been viewed over 8000 times! Some individual pictures were viewed over 1200 times! That’s crazy I thought to myself. It wasn’t like this last week. Then I got an anonymous email through blogger and this is what it says:

Sorry, it's me again. If you wonder, why so much traffic is on your Blog, look here: http://www.heise.de/tp/r4/artikel/19/19837/1.html
Most of the germans a laughing about this, maybe you understand...and find somebody to translate, it's about you!!!

Also, I got another email that was sent merely minutes before the anonymous one and it is from a German! I won’t show the email address, but here is the message (I had to slightly edit the content):

Hi Fighter *g*
Sorry about laughing, but an hard soldier, who is posting about war, tells something of the mother's accident. Thats,wahat we call "Blender" in Germany. Like a Fake-Rolex,it sems to be something other, than it is in reality...
I hope, you will land fron your "warrior-trip"... Thik only, if somebody would come in your house, only why Bush is an asshole and does much s**t. Nice thoughts? I think not...
Greetz,Megablaster
Quit German Airforce before they gone to war :-)

So, if anyone out there can help me out by translating what the German web page says about me that would be great. Heck, any of you Germans out there want to do this for me, that would be fine as well.

By the way, I’ve been to Germany and I liked my experience and the country itself was wonderful. I don’t mind if you all read what I have to say and learn about my experiences in this war. But please, keep your political thoughts to yourself. I’m not writing these blogs to be anything political or whether or not going to war was right or wrong. I am writing my experiences so that my family, friends, and any one else for that matter, know what I’ve been doing. Letting them see a more positive side, sometimes, to this war that is not shown on any news network. And the sacrifices that my fellow troops have to make, and most importantly, the sacrifices that the Iraqi people make to combat the terrorists in Iraq.

12 comments:

Joel said...

Hey James,

Did a google translation for you. Check this out. Some of it is very hard to understand. It's basically just an opinion piece and I think he is trying to discredit your usefulness by saying that you only document random superficial things, rather than what is going on. I may have read it wrong. So I dunno. Regardless, you are still respected, honored and considered our hero back here at home. Anti-war German fanatics can go running home to their mummies, because when the day is done our boys went and fought, and their boys spurred on by political and financial gain chose to sit on their butts -- and they choose to lecture us on what constitutes a moral war.
Hoorah!

Erin said...

Augh! Permit me to be furious for a momment. I have a lot more respect for someone who is willing to fight for what he believes in and respect his country even if he doesn't believe in it than anti-war liberals who have never faced a real hardship in their life. Germany wasn't hit on 9/11! They didn't have to see their people suffer. Okay, I'm over my rage (I wanted to throw my computer across the room when I first read that.) I want to let you know that I greatly respect the American soldier. My brother served over there, as well as a number of my friends. Some are still over there. I think that our men are not only brave, but most act with great character and patriotism. I say we pull any of our aid from countries like Germany and France who would rather support terrorists and would spit on our graves. (Okay, I lied about being over my rage. This is incredebly PG rated for what I'm feeling right now. I just hope they never need our help!)

James McCauley said...

Thanks for the comments. Josh, I wish I could do something about them using my pictures without my consent, but due to my current situation, I am unable to do that.

Anonymous said...

Rock on, you are doing a great job over there!!
And another reason that you might have more hits on your blog and Flickr is that you were mentioned in FlickrCentral, too... in a GOOD way!! That's how I found your sites, anyway.

God bless and stay safe.
Carla F.
(Jakes_World on Flickr)

ceebee23 said...

James,

Whilst there have always been legitimate concerns regarding the war in Iraq, it does nothing to diminish the work that you and all your colleagues are doing.

Here in Australia, whilst the war is not popular (practically) all Australians support our men and women serving with you in Iraq.

I truly wish you and your buddies well and hope for your and their safe and speedy return home.

Take care ...and remember to duck when there is incoming!

(...and I found your blog through Flicker btw.)

Larry said...

You know what man, everyone has an opininion. Whether or not the war is right or wrong, it is nice to see an inside perspective. Usually the people with the biggest mouths are exactly that...people with big mouths. I hold you and other men and women over there in very high esteem. Those who risk their lives for a people they don't even know. That takes courage and alot of honor and guts. So those who want to hide behind a political stance can shut up and fade into the shadows. To put you down for the courage that you show while they sit behind the safety of their monitor...keep doing what your doing. You are highly respected.

Anonymous said...

I as a german can say the article, describes you as a soldier who does his duty over there, without much reflecting why he does it.

[politics]
Why you wont see any germans there soon; IMO it is because the war has been seen by germany in a large (80%tish) majority as illegal and unjustified.
There are no WMD as we said, there is no USA flag waving aws. instead there is more terror than anytimes before.
Most belive the hole reason for this war have been to get the elite in the states richer than before (Halliburten etc.). And secure the strategic oil resources. (A tactic wich dont play out so well too)
The terrorist connection with saddam has been untrue from the beginning, and everybody (even the brits) said so from the begining. The only terrerist camp in the irak has been in kurdish area in the north. The kurdish people are now your closests allies...
And the List goes on.
[politics]

Anyway, I wish you best luck getting healthy back home.

Anonymous said...

Whoa..."Mr. Anonymous" sounds like a michael moore wannabe!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So...?

ceebee23 said...

Thinking about this thread ..I am sad ..James is in Iraq doing his duty ..doing what he can for his country.

And all of a sudden we are drifitng to politics :(

James, mate ..I think you know that you have the support of nearly everyone who reads your blog. I truly wish you good luck. You do honour to the US military!

Anonymous said...

Work at a university. Will work on having the german translated line for line and advise outcome. Godspeed coming home :)

Anonymous said...

Corporal McCauley - Stay safe and "cool". My son is there with you in 1st squad 3rd platoon and is fluent in German if you need. He is a SAW gunner missing two of his four front teeth, you can't miss him, about 6 feet 180 (or was);, should be an E3 by now.

I know you're there because of "Semper Fi", and I greatly appreciate your blog and your pictures. Let someone else debate the merits of the srategy and keep telling your stories.