Monday, April 18, 2005

Indirect Fire

Today started alright, except for the fact that we had to wake up at 0315 for a short, 1 day mission; just more house searches. While conducting house searches, my platoon was moving at a very good speed. We were in fact, going to get done several hours early. Right when we called up our AAVs to load them and head back to the dam, we started to receive indirect fire; mortars. Though, at this time, I am used to it and it really didn’t bother me because I know the dumb asses you fire them can’t hit anything. Though, a broken watch is right twice a day, they did not hit us this time with the 2 rounds fired.

We got back to the dam and what do you know, as soon as we all start getting off the AAVs, we got 3-120mm mortar rounds. This time, it was closer, like 200 meters away. Once again, the enemy hit out in the desert with no harm caused except some frayed nerves. We did have a mortar round strike our base a little bit ago and injured some Marines, so we don’t like to see them this close.

Then, during dinner, I was happily eating some decent chow, with our fellow troops, the Azerbaijanis (It is a country near Russia). When all of the sudden, I hear the distinct loud, explosive thuds of mortar rounds landing nearby. I thought they struck the dam right above the mess hall. Everyone in the mess hall just stopped eating and looked at one another. Faces of concern we’re on everyone, which some might say it could be fear, but we all try to hide it because well, we’re Marines. Moments later, another explosive thud from another mortar round. This time, a little bit farther away.

Due to the fact that I was hungry from a long day, I continued to eat as well as everyone else because I refuse to the terrorists interrupt my dinner. A couple minutes have passed when the call for ‘corpsman up’ was made. This did concern me because this probably meant someone was hurt. Luckily, not a single body was hurt.

Within minutes of all this, we already had our mortar tubes set up and were rocking off rounds in retaliation. Weapons Company loaded up on humvees and rolled out. Snipers were stationed high with their rifles and spotting scopes in an attempt to kill the a**holes who dare attack us.

The indirect fire count for the day came to 5. A new record since being here, so apparently, we are really pissing off some terrorists. And that is what they are—terrorists.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'll keep all of you in my prayers.

ceebee23 said...

James, didn't i tell you duck when there is incoming! :)

I am just glad no-one was hurt badly.

prozaciswack said...

I'd be pretty ticked off too...hope you got 'em man.