Monday, November 14, 2005

A End to a Great Weekend

This past weekend was the official welcome home for the Marines in Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 25th Marines. It started on Thursday with the Columbus Veteran's Day Parade. Our company was welcomed home during the opening ceremonies in downtown Columbus followed by our participation in the parade. We were marched along the parade route where thousands of people cheered us on and thank us for a job well done. Unfortunately, I couldn't take any pictures.

Then come Friday evening, the Columbus Blue Jackets honored our company by inviting us and a guest to the game. Before the start of the game, we all went out on the ice, was acknowledged, and received a 2-minute standing ovation. It was a really great way to be treated and I had the honor to participate in the color guard during the national anthem. It was a great game, with some great fights, but the Blue Jackets didn't win.

Saturday morning, we did a memorial service, at the drill center, for all of the families and friends of the 23 fallen warriors of our company. It was emotional for a lot of guys and even myself as I got the chance to meet some of the family of the men I fought along with, but didn't make it home.
<Memorial Service in Columbus
A grieving widow placed some roses upon her husband's memorial.

And the best part of my weekend, the celebration of the 230th Marine Corps Birthday on Saturday evening. It was a chance to see some of the other Marines, who came from other units, and we hadn't seen in over a month. And with the support from the community, we didn't have to pay for anything and got a room at the Renaissance Hotel.
230th Marine Corps Ball
Cpl Watkins, Sgt Taylor, Cpl Bunker, and Cpl McCauley

3 comments:

Erin said...

Yeah, Happy Birthday to you and all the Marines in Lima. I was at the Marine Birthday Ball in Boise. They actually honored a fallen guy from your Lima Company because his parents were from Idaho and at the Ball. Glad you had a good time. I for sure had a blast with my Marine! I actually went out Thursday night (the official date of the B-day) and drank with a bunch of Marines just back from Iraq. I got lots of pic's on my blog.

Joel said...

You are one sexy marine ;)

I think we are still good for Thursday. I'll call you.

Anonymous said...

You are still a great looking marine and your doing a great job!!!