Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Military Honors

Today at work started like all others; show up and sit down and do nothing for about 30-60 minutes. Well, it ended up that there was a funeral for a Vietnam Vet. and there was a need for a NCO to do it. So instead of sitting around doing nothing and cleaning weapons, I volunteered to go and perform military honors at this man's funeral. Since I was the NCOIC (noncommissioned officer in charge), I had to lead this thing and such. It was pretty easy since I already done every other role, except this time I had to present the flag to the man's daughter.

A bit of advice was given to me before I left from a sergeant. He told me to not look into the person's eyes when I present them the flag because the majority of the time, they are crying and I don't want to be caught up in it all and forget what I need to tell them. Well, I find it odd to not look at someone when you are talking to them. So what did I do, I looked into the daughter's eyes while presenting her the flag and she started to cry. Then I almost got into the whole emotions of it and had to take a second to stop. I was able to finish the presentation without too much of a problem. Overall, I'm glad to get a chance to perform this honor for the locals vets.

After the funeral, LCpl. Roessner and myself wanted to get some lunch at a nearby Max & Erma's. It was a great place to eat lunch and even better while wearing our dress blue uniforms because some guy wearing a red shirt paid for our meals. This guy just told our server and then left. We didn't get a chance to say thank you. I have find this odd that a lot of times that I do get a meal paid for at a restaurant, the person who does it usually just leaves without saying but a couple of words or nothing at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello James,
Those who paid for your meals probably didn't want to interupt your meal. When I've done this during the past 7+ months, I choose to do so anonymously about 50% of the time. Most of the time I just didn't want to interupt. Those times I had the server say thank you for your service. These type of things are the least that we can do...

Anonymous said...

Very touching commentary about the flag presentation. This part of the ceremony always chokes me up. I know that if I ever encounter a hero from the war I will happily pay for their meal which is such a small gesture compared to that of the soldiers.
So glad that you are back home and safe. God Bless you.

Jon

PapaBob said...

I dont remember much of my grandpa, because i was young when he was alive, but the one vivid memory I have is at the funeral when a Marine presented me with the flag.
There is something awe inspiring about a Marine in their dress blues.

Anonymous said...

Now that's something I'd like to see-a marine in his dress blues...