Monday, October 25, 2004

Conversations in Class

While sitting in my economics class, waiting for the break to end, I overheard a conversation by 2 ladies, in the row in front of me. They were talking about politics and the issue of abortion. One lady mentioned that she works for her church and will be voting for Senator John Kerry; as well as her 2 pastors will be voting for Mr. Kerry. She said that she thinks that it is not right that people based their decision for President based on whether or not they are pro-life or not. I agree with that a little bit, but not on a issue as strong as abortion; generally if you are pro-abortion, there are some other issues that Christians should not be for. I just can't believe what I hear. Some people are making this whole voting process too emotional. You should not be voting with your emotions because they are usually jacked up and obviously don't make the best decisions for you. Rather, I think more people need to use that grey matter in their heads', but what do I know.
Another conversation that we had early in this class, was also about politics and who you would vote for and why. The issue of homosexual marriage was brought up. This one lady brought up that she goes to church and was for homosexual marriage because she works in a hospital and sees the effect of not allowing it. She thinks that when 2 loving and totally committed homosexual adults can't be allowed to see one another at a hospital or on their deathbed is wrong. This lady said that Christians should not judge people for having an "alternative lifestyle." That kinda ticked me off. It is not an "alternative" lifestyle, it is a homosexual lifestyle. I hate it when I hear someone try to water it down to mean something not as bad. They need to quit worrying if they might hurt someone's feelings, and just say it for what it is.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Amen to that...politics is not for the weak and soft spined...unfortunately they have equal right to vote...and because of their ill-informed lifestyle will generally side with Alec Baldwin, Chris Matthews and Tim Robbins (may his puppet burn forever!).