Tuesday, October 19, 2004

My lovely weekend

Well, it was another lovely drill weekend of doing a whole lot of nothing. People sometimes ask me what I do during drill and I try to give a good answer, but it is hard because of so much time spent doing very little just boggles my mind. I can't picture everything that we have done and tell someone because it seems like when I am telling it, we did very little training. And you know what, we do do very little training or a lot of stupid stuff and sit a lot. Funny how we can only get 4-5 hours of sleep at night, but yet be rushed to do our so called training that lasts into the wee hours of the night which in all reality, we are just sitting around or standing around smoking and joking. We wait until the invisible hand, to all of us, which we are sometimes told is the battalion, gets things in order and up running.
There are some good things that I can say happened this weekend of drill, which by the way, was a little bit longer than a weekend (5 days). Somehow, somewhere, our company gunny was able to arrange for some of the riflemen in our company to qualify on the pistol range. That is something which rarely ever happens in the reserves because lack of time and money prohibit non-essential personnel from firing the pistol. Lucky, I was one of 38 riflemen that was picked to shoot. Now, this is my first time doing the pistol range, so I did not perform as high as I would with the rifle range, but I think I did well considering my lack of training on this weapon system. I shot sharpshooter, so now I get to add 1 more badge to my dress uniforms, so I am happy about that.
The rest of drill week consisted of having some classes on Thursday about IEDs and EPOW searches, then practical application afterwards. LtCol. Lesaveage, the BN commander, talked to the whole battalion for a bit. He said some watered down secret stuff and his opinions. I pulled targets all day Friday. Helped teach a class on Saturday morning, then headed to pistol range. Afterwards, sat around for about 6 hours waiting and hating life while at the same time waiting to be picked up to meet up with the rest of the battalion. It was kinda cold outside just sitting around or standing. Anyways, they ended couldn't find us, so by a act of God, the 6.7 mile BN hike was cancelled. Needless to say, it was a happy day for all the Marines. Next, back onto the bus for the 8 hour ride back to Columbus. Sunday consisted of cleaning weapons and taking care of admin stuff and once again, a whole lot of sitting around. Oh, we were also put on alert offcially for mobilization in January.
Well, that was a lot of info, so I will leave it as is.

No comments: